Quick & Easy Tempeh Reuben
1 small onion, chopped
1 package tempeh
sauerkraut, to taste (I recommend Bubbies)
non-dairy thousand island dressing, to taste (I used OrganicVille brand)
non-dairy cheese to taste, optional (Daiya works well)
oil to saute
tamari, to taste
cayenne pepper, optional (for those spicy food lovers)
1. Slice the tempeh in half as shown
2. Now lay it flat and cut into triangles as shown below
3. Saute the onion in the oil until translucent.4. Add the tempeh and drizzle the tamari over top trying to get all the pieces.
5. Continue to saute, flipping tempeh as needed until both sides are golden.
6. Layer the tempeh & onions, sauerkraut, cheese and thousand island on the bread.
Optional: For my husband, I sprinkle a little cayenne pepper on with the thousand island dressing.
7. Cook on the George Foreman (or other) grill for a couple of minutes until it's hot and has those nice grill lines on it.
Alternatively, you could put the sandwiches together and then fry them in the frying pan.